“The Saklan School challenges students to think creatively, act compassionately, and live courageously.”
While our mission is at the center of everything we do, being part of the Saklan team reaches far deeper. Those who are ready be part of our small community must be prepared to nurture an environment where the students and adults all know each other well. They understand the importance of helping students be themselves and in the words of one of our current teachers “ It’s okay for students to be courageous and to fail because compassion will catch them.”
Teachers who are successful at Saklan thrive in an environment where small is powerful and where tending to the human side of teaching is as important as the academic side. They seize the power of working across curricular areas, collaborating with colleagues and viewing parents and students as partners. Lastly, they know how to balance giving students a role in leading their own learning with the needs of a rigorous curriculum.
The Saklan School is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage candidates with diverse backgrounds to apply.
Middle School Humanities/Language Arts Teacher (Leave Coverage)
Overview of the Position
Teach Humanities (combination of Language Arts and History) curriculum to students in the middle school (6-8th) grades. Take on the role of advisor for a group of 8th grade students.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop and implement long-range and short-range plans for the Middle School Humanities and Language Arts program
- Provide differentiated, varied classroom instruction using a multi-modal approach
- Integrate instruction with other grade-level curriculum
- Provide clear performance objectives that will be widely understood by students, parents, and administrators alike
- Facilitate the social, emotional, and academic development of students within the classroom using Responsive Classroom procedures to managing the class and any student behavior issues
- Develop and implement student assessment methods that will consistently and continuously provide a basis for evaluating and reporting student progress
- Coordinate with Advisors and Dean to deliver academic and social emotional support for students
- Contribute to the community beyond the classroom
- Communicate with constituents in a timely and professional manner
The aforementioned essential duties and responsibilities indicate the general nature and level of work expected. It is not a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required:
- Expertise in student-centered and inquiry-based teaching methodologies
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Exemplary teaching skills
- Desire to collaborate with colleagues
- Experience with project-based and technology-based learning is preferred
- Excellent organizational, time management, multi-tasking, and follow-through skills
- Desire for lifelong learning through ongoing professional development
- High degree of diplomacy and confidentiality
- Advanced understanding of boundaries and professionalism
- A strong desire to teach and to learn from middle school students
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in education is required; advanced degree is preferred
2-5 years of teaching experience is preferred
How to Apply
E-mail cover letter and resume with at least 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Overview of the Position
Substitute teachers are needed at all levels. Assignments can vary from single day substitutions to multiple day assignments.
Substitute teachers must have a background in education and/or experience in working with school age children. A valid teaching qualification is preferred and substitutes working with preschool students should have completed the 12 core semester units of the ECE curriculum (Child Development, Family and Community). All candidates must meet State Licensing requirements which include Live Scan Fingerprinting, current TB clearance and health report. We are seeking candidates who are reliable, adaptable and have a nurturing and supportive tone with students.
How to Apply
E-mail cover letter and resume with at least 3 professional references to email@example.com.
Saklan is always looking for good candidates to take on teaching roles within the school. If Saklan's mission resonates with you, please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org