When the school was founded in 1954, it was originally a preschool located in Lafayette and called the Gertrude Nielsen Learning Center. Mrs. Nielsen moved the school to the present site in Moraga in 1966. It was re-named The Carden School of Moraga and expanded the program to include elementary through fifth grade. In 1978, the school was incorporated as a not-for-profit company and a Board of Trustees was formed. By the mid 1990s, the school expanded again to include grades 6-8 and changed the school name to Saklan Valley School.
In November, 2010 the School shortened the name to The Saklan School and established the current mission; to challenge students to think creatively, act compassionately, and live courageously.
The Saklan School is accredited by CAIS (California Association of Independent Schools) and WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges), and affiliated with NAIS (National Association of Independent Schools). The Saklan School is also a member of ISSFBA (Independent Schools of the San Francisco Bay Area).